Food and Breast Cancer: What to Eat and What to Avoid
Like all other forms of cancer, breast cancer may find its roots in factors that are beyond human control. Genetic mutations, unhealthy lifestyles, and even dietary choices can result in breast cancer. Yet, the chances of having breast cancer can be drastically reduced by making specific inclusions to and exclusions from our daily diet.
Here are vegetables, fruits, and other foods that must be included in our daily intake to reduce the chances of breast cancer.
- Green Veggies Leafy green vegetables like spinach, mustard greens, and kale are rich in carotenoid antioxidants, which when present in high ratios result in reduced risk of breast cancer.
Similarly, folate, when taken in vast quantities, also subdues the risk of breast cancer.
- Cruciferous Veggies
Vegetables like cauliflower, cabbage, and broccoli contain chemical compounds that can ward off breast cancer when digested and broken down by our bodies.
The higher the intake of beans, the lower the chances of breast cancer, as they are heavily loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Onions, Garlic, and Leeks
These vegetables belong to the genus ‘allium’ with potent anticancer properties due to their rich antioxidants and vitamin-C composition.
- Citrus Fruits
Oranges and limes are rich in compounds like folates, vitamin-C, and carotenoids that prevent breast cancer.
Blueberries primarily inhibit the development and spread of cancer while also preventing cellular damage.
- Peaches, Apples, and Pears
A higher intake of these three fruits, with the consumption of peaches at least twice a week, dramatically reduces the chances of breast cancer.
Fat-Rich Fish: Fishes like mackerels, salmon, and sardines are rich in omega-3 fats, so a higher intake considerably decreases the risk of breast cancer.
Fermented Food: Yogurt, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut, and miso are rich in probiotics and nutrients that ward off breast cancer.
While higher intakes of certain food, as mentioned above, drastically reduce breast cancer potentials, there are individual dietary choices that may accelerate the chances of breast cancer.
Food and Beverages That Need to Be Avoided
- Alcohol-When consumed in large amounts may result in breast cancer.
- Processed Meat-Bacon and sausage may prove cancerous in the long run.
- Fried Food- Heavy intake of fried food may increase the chances of breast cancer.
- Processed Food- Regular consumption of processed fast food may result in obesity, diabetes, and breast cancer, among many other ailments.
- Added Sugar- A super sugary diet may result in inflammation and the release of cancer-promoting enzymes.
- Processed Carb- Processed carbs that are generally found in Western cuisines often induce breast cancer.
To learn more about breast cancer and its preventive measures, contact us.
Be the first to post a comment