The large intestine also called the large bowel or colon, connects the small intestine to the anus. A large bowel resection or colectomy is a surgical procedure where all or just the diseased part of your large bowel is removed. Our surgeon, Dr. Prasad is highly experienced and skilled in performing surgery on the large intestine.
Reasons for Large Intestine Surgery
Large intestine surgery is performed to treat the following conditions:
- Intestinal blockages due to tumors or scar tissue
- Infection or bleeding in the intestines
- Bowel inflammation
- Precancerous polyps
- Colon cancer
- Diverticulitis, a disease of the large intestine
Types of Colectomy
The following are the three types of colectomies:
- Proctocolectomy - The entire colon or the rectum is removed.
- Subtotal colectomy - The entire colon is removed, but the rectum is not removed.
- Partial colectomy - A part of the colon is removed, but the rectum is not removed.
Surgical Procedure for Large Intestine Surgery
You will be given general anesthesia before the procedure. Your surgeon may perform a laparoscopic, or an open colectomy, depending on your medical needs. During the procedure, your surgeon removes all or just the diseased parts of your large bowel and reconnects the healthy parts. They may perform a colostomy if not enough healthy intestine is left after your surgery.
Why Choose Us for Large Intestine Surgery? Dr. Prasad
uses the latest surgical tools and technology to offer patients a less invasive surgical procedure that results in a better outcome and a shorter recovery time. Call us at 907-276-3676 to get the best treatment option or answer
of any questions you may have. Want to download the registration form? Click here.