Gallbladder Surgery (Cholecystectomy) Anchorage, Alaska
Gallbladder surgery or cholecystectomy is a surgical procedure that involves removal of the gallbladder - a pear-shaped organ that is below your liver in the upper right side of the abdomen. Our surgeon, Dr. Prasad uses the most advanced technology and minimally invasive surgical procedures to treat gallbladder problems.
When Do You Need Gallbladder Surgery?Your doctor may recommend gallbladder surgery if you have:
- Gallbladder inflammation
- Gallstones in the gallbladder
- Pancreas inflammation due to gallstones
- Gallstones in the bile duct
Common Tests Before Gallbladder SurgeryBefore the surgical procedure, your doctor will perform several tests to check the effect of gallstones on your health. Common tests include:
- Blood test
- MRI HIDA (hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid) scan
- Endoscopic ultrasonography
Gallbladder Surgical ProceduresYour surgeon may perform the surgery in one of the following ways:
- Open surgery - in which your surgeon makes a 5-7-inch incision on your belly to remove the gallbladder.
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy - in which your surgeon makes 4 small cuts to insert special tools to see and remove the infected organ.
Comments are closed