Adrenal Surgery | General Surgeon & Surgical Oncologist in Anchorage
The adrenal glands are the two small glands that are located above each kidney and produce a number of hormones, including aldosterone, cortisol, adrenaline, and sex hormones. Adrenal gland disorders can cause your glands to make too much or too few hormones. Our surgeon, Dr. Prasad has the experience in performing surgical procedures to treat adrenal gland disorders.
Causes of Adrenal Gland DisordersSome of the causes of adrenal gland disorders include:
- Genetic mutations
- A problem in the pituitary gland that regulates the adrenal gland
- Certain medications
Symptoms of Adrenal Gland DisordersAdrenal gland disorders may produce symptoms related to the excess production of hormones.
- Pheochromocytomas can cause high blood pressure, headaches, sweating, rapid heart rate, and anxiety.
- Cushing's syndrome symptoms include obesity, high blood sugar, high blood pressure, skin problems, and menstrual irregularities.
- Aldosterone-producing tumors can result in high blood pressure and low blood potassium levels. It may also cause fatigue, weakness, and frequent urination
Diagnosis and Tests for Adrenal SurgeryAn X-ray, MRI, CT scan, nuclear medicine scan, or selective venous sampling are used to locate an adrenal tumor. Blood and urine tests are performed to check if the tumor overproduces hormones.
How Is Adrenal Surgery Performed?There are two main types of adrenalectomy that are performed to remove the adrenal gland.
- Open adrenalectomy in which a large incision beneath the ribcancage is made.
- The laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery uses a camera and multiple small incisions.
Why Choose Us for Adrenal Surgery?At Far North Surgery, we provide advanced surgical procedures for treating adrenal gland disorders. Dr. Prasad general surgeon in Anchorage, AK, has the experience and expertise to perform laparoscopic or minimally invasive surgery for adrenal gland disorders. Call us at 907-276-3676 or fill out our contact form to get the best treatment option for adrenal gland disorders or answer any questions you may have.
Comments are closed